Madras Middle School, Home of the Eagles!
A Georgia Distinguished School
2011 GAMSP Effective Middle School Award Recipient
2014-2015 Silver STEM School
"Every Child, Every Chance, Every Day"
All Coweta County Schools will remain closed Friday, January 19th. All Madras after-school activities and basketball games are postponed. New dates for missed basketball games will be forwarded as soon as they become available next week.
Severe Weather Procedures
During winter weather season, the Coweta County School System wants to remind parents and the community of the procedures that schools and the school system follow in the event of severe weather. During severe weather watches or warnings, the district works with local authorities to monitor developing conditions and proceeds with arrival and dismissal based upon known conditions. Adjustments are made as needed.
In the event that schools are delayed, closed or released early, there are a variety of ways the school system notifies parents, including:
- Automated phone call (OneCallNow)
- Media outlets (television, radio and media websites)
- District & school websites (www.cowetaschools.net) (www.cowetaschools.net/mms)
- School Texts (Sign up by visiting front page of school's website.)
- School Email (Sign up by emailing your name to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Twitter (@Madras Eagles; @RainyJohnson @CowetaSchools)
- Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/MadrasEagles)
- Instagram (http://www.instagram.com/MadrasEagles)
Parents are urged to make sure that their child’s school has their latest contact information, including new phone numbers, so that they can be contacted during such events.
In the event of severe weather, a determination will be made each day on whether to close or delay school, or continue school closure, based on anticipated travel conditions and other factors. Once a determination is made, the school system will notify parents and the community about the next day’s status.
The school system tries to make such determinations in as timely a manner as possible. But storm severity, weather arrival and anticipated travel conditions constantly change and can be difficult to assess. If the school system cannot make a final determination on the evening before a school day, a final determination early the following morning is necessary.
Notices are typically placed on the system’s website (cowetaschools.net) if the school system is continuing to evaluate conditions, or if normal school operations are anticipated. The school system will notify parents immediately by phone call, text or email, media notice and other means if a determination to close or delay school is made.
In the event of a school delay, the system will notify parents of the length of the delay. For a delay of two hours, for example, parents and students should assume that all normal school procedures are delayed two hours – bus pick-up is two hours from usual times (at 9:00 or 9:30 a.m., for example), and classes will start two hours later (at 10:00 p.m. and 10:30 a.m.). In such cases, however, school dismissal times would remain the same (2:30 and 3:30 p.m.).
Other weather-related contingencies or tips include:
- Parents of bus riders should also be aware that extremely cold morning temperatures can cause delays on morning routes. A severe storm watch may also cause delays. Our transportation department works to pick up students as quickly as possible during these conditions.
- In the case of tornado warnings, we re-route buses to the nearest school sites and shelter in place. We also utilize fire stations, if needed. Once a tornado warning has been lifted, and conditions are safe, we will resume bus service.
- Steps you can take include ensuring your children are dressed as warmly as possible during the winter months and remaining with your children until they are picked up when extreme weather conditions exist.
- In the event of school closure, schools often employ a number of resources through which parents or students can stay abreast of school work and assignments, including Remind texts from teachers, Google Classroom, class websites, or online quizzes assigned by teachers.
- It is important that your child’s school has your current emergency contact information, including home and work phone numbers for our calling system. Please take the time to update that information with your child’s school if needed.
Google Parent/Student Agreement (including video)
Want to be alerted of afternoon bus delays? Sign up for transportation text alerts at: https://www.remind.com/join/mmsgobuses.
Want to receive important school alerts via text? Text the number 81010, and enter @MadrasMS in the text. You'll be prompted to enter your name, and you're done!
Weekly Eagles News: One of the most important things you can do to start the new school year is to sign up for our weekly news bulletin (Eagles Notes). Eagles Notes are emailed to our subscribers each week and include important upcoming dates, reminders, and school happenings to keep our families informed. Please subscribe by emailing: MadrasNews@cowetaschools.net with your first and last name in the email. You will be instantly enrolled to our distribution list. This is our primary means of communicating important school information to our families. We will include copies of any letters that we send home with students during the year to ensure parents receive the information. You can unsubscribe at any time by emailing Madras News with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line. The 2017-2018 Eagles Notes archives can also be found on our Website at any time.
Family Connections: Access our reference guide to family connections, and learn how you connect via e-announcements, text reminders, Parent Portal, and social media including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Periscope.
Immunization Requirements for 7th Graders: Students born on or after Jan. 1, 2002, who are entering the 7th grade are required to meet the following state requirements: 1. Students must have one (1) dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccine. 2. Students must have one (1) dose of meningococcal conjugate (MCV) vaccine. All required vaccines, documentation of disease, laboratory proof of immunity, or medical exemptions must be documented on a valid Georgia Certificate of Immunization (Form 3231, Rev. 2007 or later). Parents who previously filed a Religious Affidavit of Exemption with the school do not need to file another affidavit. Contact your health care professional or local health department to schedule the administration of any needed vaccinations for your child and to obtain a new/updated Certificate of Immunization (Form 3231).
Congratulations to the Boys' Soccer Team!
2017 Coweta County Champions
Congratulations, Lady Eagles Volleyball Team!
2017 Coweta County Champions
Congratulations, Madras Eagles Football Team!
2017 Coweta County Champions
Eagles' Notes Weekly News (Click Here for Full Page View..)